Monday, September 26, 2011

Poco a Poco

I am on BYU campus right now!  This is so unreal. There are thousands of computers here, so good luck trying to find me ; )   This is not our area, but we come here on our P Day to email.  Our area is "south of campus" in the latino communities.  I love it!
The theme this weekend, and probably for the duration of my mission - is "poco a poco" thanks to my companion Hermana Montano. She is such a great example of a strong leader.  She gets work done!  She and the companion before me are the first sisters to open this area - beforehand there were always Elders.  We are so busy with lessons we only knocked on doors for twenty minutes on Saturday!  I am impressed with how well she fellowships with people.  I can see her being a really awesome businesswoman.
I understand about 80% of what people say, but sometimes their accents throw me off.  I am learning to be patient with myself, because I know I want to be as talkative I am in Spanish as I am in English.. but it will take time.  I am surprised at how much I have improved in speaking up and sharing my feelings just this past weekend.  
The latino community here is amazing. I was a little familiar with it when I was attending school here - I'd go to the salsa club, occasionally to the latino market and even the latino carnival.  I assumed that most latinos here in Provo were already members, that they were here to be with their children who came to study at BYU and UVU.  That is true, but I had no idea there are so many nonmember families!  Their stories are similar to people in LA - they came here to learn English, or to work, or to gain an education, any and all of the above.  I have been so impressed with the young adults I have met who left their home country to be here to learn English - and yet they have no work, no money, and no family.  Things were a little overwhelming my first day here considering all the logistics of handling two wards in our area, but after a day I was able to really learn these stories and feel so much love for them.  I wish I could give them all a steady job and wholesome meals every day.  The Spirit has been SO strong in our lessons.  I have cried in front of strangers, seesh!  I am getting used to it though.  I guess I shouldn't be embarrassed because I am least being honest and sharing what's in my heart, poco a poco : )
 We went and saw 17 Miracles today at the Scera theatre in Orem!  I don't know if it is still in theatres where you are, but I highly recommend it!
I hope you are all doing well.  I am sorry if my mail is late to you, I think they are still forwarding things to me from the MTC. 
Love you all xoxo Hermana Miller



No comments:

Post a Comment