Thursday, September 22, 2011

"If you open your mouth, then God will fill it"

WOW - this week has been incredibly awesome.   So much has changed in the last five minutes.  I have been so anxious this week to receive info for my temporary assignment.  That means I am going to another Utah mission while I am waiting for the Argentina consulate member to come (in a few weeks) so I can complete my Visa process! I ran into an elder from my district and he says, "Go to the travel office right now Hermana Miller.  We're leaving in the morning!"  That was Elder Arroyo, who is also going to Rosario. 
 
I am LEAVING TOMORROW.  What??  I was expecting next Tuesday!  The travel office told me my temporary assignment is the Utah Provo mission.  HA!  Love it!!
 
I had a whole letter planned out to write you, but now I am just so excited and scrambled I can't think straight, I left my rough draft of my letter to you all in my room, so I will do my best!
 
Yesterday was a great day - our district, among others, were invited to help as Hosts for the brand new missionaries!  It was a great way to rekindle my excitement for being here.  I helped three different sisters find their rooms, drop off their luggage, get their photo ID and official missionary badge, find their district classroom, and get the huge heavy bag of reading and study materials! The sisters I helped are going to Chicago, Thailand, and Guatemala.  After this month we will have about 450 sister missionaries (there are 2400 elders!) which is more sisters than last year.  It feels great to be part of that!
 
My companion, myself, and our two roommates who were formally a trio with me all participated in that great "Teaching Experience" activity I talked about my first week here.  There are amazing actors who are investigators, and missionaries come in and teach in a role play in front of A LOT of brand new missionaries.  Hermana Dalton and I taught a cool kid named Steve, and we also taught my favorite character/investigator from the activity in my first week named Arnold!  (PS I am sorry my grammar is not up to par, I think the Spanish is getting to me and I am rushing right now)   It was great to help the new missionaries feel excited about being here! 
 
I have to share a story with you from last Sunday.  Every week we go to choir practice and have a different choir director. They are volunteers, but are incredibly talented!  This past choir director told us about his friend who thought to give up Church for a while because she was tired of doing the right thing and not getting any results.  She had just ended a long relationship and thought, "Great.  It's not even worth it. I need a nice long break, this is too much work."  He comforted her by reminding her about the 99 sheep and the 1 lost sheep.  A little girl in the primary class he taught told this story once, and he loved how she stood in front of the class and counted - every.single. one.  She said the shepherd first counted his 99 and THEN went looking for the one.  Our choir director told his friend that the Lord is taking care of those that are already doing good.  He is looking over ones that are astray too, but sometimes we forget that He is looking out for us too.  So his advice to us was, "Don't ever throw in the towel.  We have to endure to the end!  There are 98 sheep out there in the same wilderness with you, you are not alone." 
 
 I loved this different take on a story we here all the time.  So often we need to console those that suffer the most, but then again we have to remember those that appear to be fine on the outside.  Be kind, for everyone you meet is fighting a harder battle. 
 
So - the title of this post - "If you open your mouth, then God will fill it."  I know I have mentioned about how everything here is about the Spirit, and I can't re-emphasize that more.  I am learning to forget about my limits in Spanish and let the Spirit guide! 
 
Provo, here I come!  haha (The MTC is in Provo, fyi) 

xoxo hermana miller


No comments:

Post a Comment